Saturday, February 18, 2012

Weight Loss Chronicles - Week 5 & 6 (The Devil Made Me Do It)

If you're over the age of 35, you've probably heard Flip Wilson's comedic act as Geraldine.  "Her" catchphrase was "the devil made me do it".  In essence, this was the excuse to get her out of a sticky situation.  Well, I guess you could say I've been in a sticky situation the last couple of weeks. :-) 

Cookies, candy, ice cream, and just about anything sugary sweet has been a struggle for me for as long as I can remember.  Earlier in my weight loss journey I was able to exercise or do something other than eat whenever the cravings begun.  But it didn't work this time.  So what in the world happened???  In retrospect, I believe that sweets serve as a comfort for me.  When I'm bored or feel overwhelmed, I gravitate towards what comforts me.  And over the past two weeks, I've had a lot on my plate as far as for work, church activities, and things around the house.  On top of that, being sick.  Trying to keep up and juggle it all was a bit much.  Cookies and candy became my refuge - which I knew better than to rely on.  But it was quick and satisfying.  I must admit that I've retained my 10 pound weight loss, which is good.  But the reality is that those pounds will easily creep back in if I don't shape up.  Now that I'm more aware, I have to proceed forward in a much better way.

My plan of action when the cravings hit will be to exercise if I can.  If not, I need to stop and think about why I'm having the cravings.  If it becomes so overwhelming that I feel like caving in, then choose healthier options.  Like for instance if I just need something sweet, eat yogurt.  Or if I want something with chocolate, drink my chocolate smoothie.  If I want ice cream, just make the smoothie thicker by adding more ice.  Overall, I realize the cravings are temptations.  And in a way the devil did make me do it when I fell to those temptations.  But rather than make excuses and dwell on what I did or didn't do, I'll learn from it, grow from it, and move forward for the better.  In addition, I'll continue to pray for God to help me and work with me on this because at the end of the day, this is an addiction. And I do not want the devil to have any foothold in my life.  Keep praying for me and the strength to stay on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment