Thursday, August 11, 2011

Scalp Psoriasis

The natural hair journey has had it's ups and downs, but one of the downers for me was in finding out I had scalp psoriasis.  In the years that I relaxed my hair, the only scalp issues I had was occasional itching.  Using a dandruff shampoo often took care of this.  But late last year, I noticed dryness and tightening of the scalp.  I tried oils, lotions, potions, and a variety of dandruff shampoos.  Nothing worked.  Then I developed a small patch that looked and felt like a scab in the back of my head.  What the !#$%?  Then over the next month, more "scabs" came, my hair was starting to fall out, and my head itched so bad I wanted to scream.

I started researching, trying to figure out what was happening to me.  Everything I read led me to believe I had scalp psoriasis, and there is NO cure.  I tried more shampoos for psoriasis.  I ordered dead sea salts.  I even tried just scraping my scalp.  Nothing worked.  The patches just came back and this time they were thick and white.  After about 3 months of this craziness, I finally went to a dermatologist.  Before I sat down good, she briefly parted my hair and said I had seborrhea dermatitis.  She prescribed Derma Smoothe.  I tried it for the 4 weeks suggested.  A huge waste of money.  The patches were still there, the itching had gotten worse, and that stuff was so oily and nasty.

I felt hopeless.  I couldn't wear my hair out because you could see the patches and flakes.  Each day I'd put on my half wig feeling like this was my only way of having "normal hair".  A couple of times I cried.  When I went for my check-up, my physician recommended another dermatologist.  I was leery about going, but went anyway.  I'm so glad that I did.  She gave me samples of Clobex and Taclonex.  I tried both and it was like magic.  The patches left and so did the itching.  Hair that had fell out has steadily begun to grow back.  The one thing that I noticed as an issue was that I can't use the Clobex and Taclonex in the same day.  It causes me to feel funny.  Overall, when I feel a little itch or something that feels like a patch that's forming, I use the Taclonex. 

The above post is the opinion and experience of the blogger, and should not be take as medical advice.  Please consult with your physician  or medical provider for health concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment